Domestic Violence and Crime Victims

Nonimmigrant U-Visas

Each year, the government issues 10,000 nonimmigrant U-visas to victims of crimes committed in the United States.  To qualify, a person must be a victim of a qualifying crime, must suffer physical or mental abuse and be willing to assist the Government in bringing the perpetrators of the crime to justice.

To apply, victims of violence must submit Petition for U Nonimmigrant Visa, Form I-918 along with supporting evidence and obtain from the enforcement authorities a fully filled out Supplement-B of the Form I-918. The visa is given for periods of 3 years with right of extension and future eligibility for a green card. You can live and legally work in the United States while in a U-visa status. 

If you are eligible, we will command your U-visa application throughout the entire process and will make sure you receive full benefits.

Green Card under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

If you were a victim of domestic violence you may qualify for a green card in the United States. Victims of domestic violence apply for a green card by submitting a VAWA petition.

When applying for this benefit, self-petitioner (i.e. the immigrant seeking the benefit) must prepare and submit USCIS form I-360, petition for Amerisian, widow(er), or special immigrant. In addition, the petitioner must submit all the necessary evidence and prove that s/he was a victim of domestic violence.

Some of the requirements the petitioner can submit with I-360

  1. Personal declaration describing your relationship with the abuser, harm suffered and other relevant factors. The declaration should include details about how you met the abuser and how your relationship developed, and why you married the abuser. It should discuss the types of abuse you suffered and when each instance of abuse occurred. It is best to include as many details, including dates;
  2. Police clearance records from any place you have lived for at least six months during the past three years. Police records or other evidence that shows you as a person with good moral character;
  3. A copy of your passport or birth certificate;
  4. Proof that the abuser is a U.S. citizen or green card holder;
  5. Proof that you are the abuser’s spouse, child, or parent;
  6. Proof that you lived with the abuser;
  7. Proof that you suffered abuse, and;
  8. Proof that you currently live in the United States;
  9. Passport-style photos;
  10. And other relevant evidence.

In addition, it is helpful to include a cover letter on top of the package that describes the evidence the self-petitioner is submitting.

If you were a victim of domestic violence, speak to us immediately. We will guide you through the process and  help you can obtain your green card and be able to live and work in the United States.

See how our Russian Speaking New York Immigration Attorney can help you!

  1. Asylum & Refugee Status
  2. Family-Based Green Cards
  3. Employment Visas and Green Cards
  4. Deportation And Relief from Removal
  5. Naturalization and Citizenship
  6. Domestic Violence and Crime Victims
  7. Nonimmigrant Visas
  8. Appeals
  9. Other Immigration Matters
Please do not hesitate at all to contact your future Russian Speaking New York Immigration Attorney if you did not find answers to your questions. Our clients can call, email or text us or reach us on our social media pages including Facebook and Instagram. Most importantly, we are here for protecting your immigration rights.